The Roman Catholic parish church is the dominant feature of the Main Square. It was built in the second half of the 16th century. It was originally a late Gothic building. At the time when Nové Zámky was in the hands of the Turks, it was rebuilt and served as a mosque. In 1693, the church was repaired by Archbishop Juraj Széchényi, whose coat of arms is located above the door inside the church. The building contains Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, Late Baroque, and Classicist elements. In 1810 it was destroyed by fire, in 1867 the tower of the church collapsed because of a storm, and further reconstruction was needed. At the parish, which is part of the church, there is a bust of Anton Bernolák, the first codifier of the Slovak language, who worked here from June 1797 until his death in 1813. The author of the bust is the academic sculptor Jaroslav Gubric.
Source and foto: www.novezamky.sk