This Island was always important for the inhabitants of Komárno since the medieval ages, because it was the town´s fruit garden. Elisabeth, the young wife of the monarch Franz Joseph, stood here on Hungarian ground for the first time in the year 1857. In her memory people named the island (today already a peninsula) as Elisabeth Island.
We can find also the Jókai garden house here, which was built for his birthday by Zsolt Beöthyon the corner of their residence to spread the greatness of his friend Mór Jókai. This was the meeting place of the famous writer and his friends, where appeared also such great Hungarian writers like Géza Gárdonyi, Kálmán Mikszáth or Ferenc Molnár.