The Russian military cemetery was estabilished at St. Stephen Street in Štúrovo in 1946. 5247 fallen soldiers of the Red Army rest in mass graves as well as in individual ones. An outstanding monument of the cemetery is the statue of a mother embracing her dying son.
Today's image was acquired during a remodel completed in 1994. Eight large mass graves were rebuilt and 168 individual tombs were created.
The cemetery is a cultural monument of the Slovak Republic, managed by the city of Štúrovo.